Monday, October 11, 2010

Real Talk, Real Friends

"I encourage you to remember to always take a step back from it all and just breathe. It's really hard for me when things pile up like that and I feel stuck in the situation and forget that there is always something else coming my way and that I'm not really stuck you know? Tomorrow will always come and there are always people there for you to talk to if you feel like you're going crazy."

My friend Chad told me this today in midst of my mild emotional breakdown today. I've been feeling very suffocated and stressed by everything in my town and today everything broke. I threw up almost immediately when I got home and spent the next hour absolutely sobbing my eyes out. I haven't cried that much in months. I put what happened on Facebook and, not even a minute later, I had someone asking if I was okay. He doesn't even live in my town. 5 minutes later, my friend in Canada asked if I was okay, followed by my sister in Minneapolis.

Chad messaged me asking if everything was okay. That just absolutely broke me. We've met a few times, spoke a couple, and I've seen him play with his former band three times. The fact that he cared enough to take time out of his day to see if I was all right meant more to me than he'll realize. Only one of my friends that I see on a daily basis bothered to ask if I was fine. I'm starting to realize who my real friends are and I'm starting to realize what I need to do about that. Care about your friends, that's all you need to do. They'll thank you, even if they don't say it out loud.


-jrd

1 comment:

  1. Man, I had no idea the impact that had on you. I am so, so glad dude.

    I totally agree with your last two sentences. Sometimes that's all you can do is just care about someone--hold them when they are breaking and just let them know that you truly care and are there for them.

    ReplyDelete